Thursday, June 21, 2012

Because of Anna B.


My mom and I
 Today was the first time in a while that I cried. I was rummaging through my tote full of photos trying to purge and pack for my move next week. In the process, one picture stood out amongst all of the other hundreds and hundreds of photos. It was a picture of my mom smiling. I'm sure you all know by now that my mom died three years ago. I rubbed the picture as if I was feeling her physical presence as the tears fell from my eyes. All I could say is that "I'm working hard to make you proud of me, Momma!" That's why I worked two jobs. That's why I'm back in school to pursue my dreams. I am doing it because she raised me as a single parent with four children barely making it, and I just want to show her what I've become of it despite the adversities. She put your children above everything. I am just the same. I will give someone I cared about my last as long as it was what they needed. It's the giver in me. A day like today forced me to take time and truly appreciate the legacy my mom left. I am a product of Anna B.

3 comments:

  1. So I got the email at work that you had a new blog post. I immediately started reading it until I saw what the subject was. I then decided that it was best if I read it at home. So glad that I did because I spent the morning crying. Just like you, I hope I am making my mother proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS PURE! I'm sure you are making your mom proud as well!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post!! I know I pop-in-and-out so frequently, that is not really noticable anymore, but I want you to know that I am proud of you friend! I can only imagine how hard it is for you to live through many memories of Ms. Anna, but you have always been someone committed to seeing everything through! You always see the best in others (even when they truly don't deserve it...); You can silver-line any situation, regardless of circumstance; and you are a giver too!! I don't know anyone that could love the individuals in all of us more than you! and its not a people-pleasing attempt, but you genuinely love from your heart. Your mom was always cheerful, kind, and soft-spoken. I think you take more from her than you'd ever realize. And truth-be-told, I can't imagine Ms. Anna doing anything but smiling down on her "Babygirl" each and every day because her legacy lives on thru you. Probably leaning over to your granny like: "Yeah, Crystal's got it covered! She's making sure everybody is taken care of." Good post girlie!

    ReplyDelete