Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Pipe Dream just needs a little bit of Draino




First, I would like to apologize for not writing as frequently as I would like to, but I've had a pretty interesting schedule lately. It's okay because I know everything that I am doing right now is falling within my purpose. This post relates to being purposeful and turning dreams into reality. I hope you enjoy it, my fellow PHREAdom Followers!

A pipe dream isn't really a pipe dream, but rather a dream that just needs a little bit of Draino to flush it out into the world. A pipe dream, as defined in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, is merely a fantasy of a plan, hope, or story. My personal thought is that it is only a pipe dream if you just let that idea sit and you do nothing with it. This is similar to its origin of a pipe dream where individuals hallucinated while smoking opium back in the 19th century. Individuals got high on an idea, but once the high was gone so was the idea.

McLyte at boule

The idea of following through with a plan or hope may seem difficult and fear could take over, but one may never know how easy it could've been if he or she never developed and expanded on the idea. It takes faith and trust. For instance, I am reminded of our great leaders of the past and present like Dr. Martin Luther King or President Barack Obama, who if they had not pushed their dreams forward some things may not have changed. What if Dr. King did not push the issue of equal rights nor shared his powerful "I Have a Dream" speech because of one too many road blocks? Or better yet, what if President Obama gave up on his dream of becoming the President of the United States? They both pushed those dreams forward and made a difference in the lives of others. Our dreams may not be as big as theirs, but it can still be impactful.
My soror, McLyte said we must "dream with a purpose" at the National Education Fund Luncheon during Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.'s Boule in New Orleans, La.
Therefore, if we dream with a purpose and work hard at it then it may become a reality. Don't sell yourself short because what may seem like a pipe dream to some may be an extraordinary purposeful vision that requires a little bit of Draino to push it out.
<3 Starkey

1 comment:

  1. girl, i guess thats where I am.. I need a couple gallons of DRAINO b/c I've been talking up my pipe dream for the longest and not doing anything about it. I know its laziness.. and fear... and laziness.. and fear... etch... did i mention laziness? LOL! I have not found a purpose for my dream other than the fact that its something that I'd like to do. Perhaps, the passion that I "think" I have, should more constructively be displayed on a smaller-scale before trying to go for glory. I dunno.. again, that may be another excuse, but I love the idea of having to force out these pipe dreams of ours. Guess GOD, my sister-circle, my ability, my family are all facets or ingredients that go into my gallon jug of draino.. I don't know when I'll see it come to fuition, but It will happen one day! Thanks love!

    ReplyDelete