Sunday, October 13, 2013

Thank You for Being a Friend

“I don’t know what I’d ever do without you
From the beginning to the end
You’ve always been here right beside me
So I’ll call you my best friend
Through the good times and the bad ones
Whether I lose or if I win
I know one thing that never changes and
That’s you as my best friend...” -- Brandy’s “Best Friend”
In life, everyone has different circles of people who provide different insight and wisdom. They all fall within different relationship categories (like friends, associates, mentors, advisors, etc). Although some categories do intertwine, they all share a common goal—to exchange true support and guidance that will not only help you, but help them as well. This makes us all better individuals for all of humankind. A friend will give you the hard truth or the soft woo-woo-woo version of it. A friend will value each other’s thoughts and opinions regardless if they agree with it or not. The homies may not solely agree, but it wouldn’t destroy a true friendship.
Image courtesy of Stockimages / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Now, I’ve read that even the most successful individuals drop a friend or two on a yearly basis. If that’s the case then I’m way behind schedule. However, I do understand their purpose in doing so. Most people, especially the influential ones, mirror the direction of one’s self. For instance, Paul C. Brunson recently wrote, “You can’t spend time with someone,real impactful time, without their being an influence.” This concept really made me think about the people I spend the majority of time with or those on my weekly call log. We all may not share the same interests, but each of us brings something to the plate that is a benefit to the other.

I really try not to reflect too much on my personal life on this blog, but I was truly inspired to write about friendships from my past week. It was a long one. Tears were shed. Prayers united. In the long run, my friends came to the rescue by offering encouraging words, conversations, prayers, wardrobe consultations, warm embraces or even jump starts. My friends shared something with me this past week that made me appreciate them and our friendship even more.

What do you bring to the table as a friend? Do you offer support, prayers, laughter? When did you realize the value in your friendships?

No comments:

Post a Comment