Monday, November 4, 2013

Black Girls Rock: Starkey's Top 7 Moments

Source: www.blackgirlsrockinc.com
Last night, black girls and women gathered around the television screen to watch the Black Girls Rock! which is an awards program that honors female trailblazers who have made an exceptional contribution to the lives of those in their community and beyond. This year's event featured the following honorees: Marian Wright Edelman, Queen Latifah, Mara Brock Akil, Misty Copeland, Ameena Matthews, Venus Williams, and Patti Labelle. I don't know about you all, but I was empowered and ready to shout to the mountain top "Hey, I'm a Black Girl and I Rock!" by the end of the show. You couldn't help but be moved after hearing such great speeches and performances.
Therefore, I decided to share with you all my top 7 moments from the Black Girls Rock, and hopefully it will move you just the same.
7) The "Girlfriends" reunion. I was definitely singing the theme song while they appeared on stage to honor Mara Brock Akil.
6) Kelly Rowland and her two special guests. Rowland brought in Sevyn Streeter and Eve! I hope Eve is ready for a comeback. That was dope! I'm sure I wasn't the only person who was looking for Michelle Williams and Beyonce' to appear on stage. I just knew they were the special guests. Great teaser BET! Great teaser!
5) During Ameena Matthews’s speech, she shared a reflection where she told her daughter that they would be Black Girls Rock one year. Her daughter nodded her head with tears streaming from her eyes. Matthews said that she's the Sojourner Truth and Harriet Tubman of today while fighting for freedom in the streets of Chicago.
4) Misty Copeland, the 3rd black soloist in the American Ballet Theatre, was honored. She said, "Black girls do rock....Black girls can be ballerinas." I also loved her opening to Patti LaBelle's selection "You are my Friend."
3) Mrs. Marian Wright Edelman is history, period. She started the Children's Defense Fund and a civil rights activist. She was a member of the freedom riders. She sought for equality. I cherished it when she said, "Don't let anyone else define you."
2) Mara Brock Akil accepting her award. She said, "Even if no one else sees you, I see you." "We are worth protecting. We are worth loving. We must continue to rock," Akil continued.
1) Beverly Bond's speech where she said, "We must lift as we climb." Everything we as black woman do is a part of a platform which can make a difference in the lives of the young black girls. Bond told us to rebuild our village and create a healthy sisterhood.
What moments made you want to get up and do something after watching Black Girls Rock? If you missed it, check here to find out the details. 

No comments:

Post a Comment